Yorkshire Crafts

My Photo
Yorkshire Crafts
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Designer/maker of hand knitted, hand crafted, handmade items, avid collector and reluctant seller of vintage china, mum, home-educator and book lover. Blogging about our crafts and makes, our home education journey, and reviews of books we use.
View my complete profile

Copyright

We really hope you enjoy reading about our projects and products, but just because they're featured here in public, doesn't mean anyone else can copy them or reproduce them for commercial gain. Except where otherwise indicated, all items are ©YorkshireCrafts.

Vintage Watering Can

Vintage Watering Can

Spring Flowers

Spring Flowers
©Yorkshirecrafts. Powered by Blogger.

Daffodil

Daffodil
Monday, 10 January 2011

China Cups and Candle Wax

First blog post of 2011, so a very happy New Year everyone.

One of my hobbies for the past few years has been amassing a collection of vintage china and as there are often odd cups without accompanying saucers, there's always the question of what to do with them.  I think that question was admirably answered by whoever it was that originally came up with idea of turning them into something both pretty and functional.  Beautiful candles.

Candlemaking is something I've enjoyed doing in the past, but I've never particularly liked the somewhat smelly process of using parafin wax to make them, and while beeswax is lovely it's just too damned expensive.

Enter an eco-friendly alternative which is also supposed to be odourless. Soy wax.

I'd seen several examples of this wax at various craft fairs and decided I had to try it for myself, so over the Christmas/New Year break managed to summon up a smidgin of energy (thank you flu and tonsilitis) to have a go at making hand-poured tea cup candles.

hand poured tea-cup candle


I have to say I'm delighted with the soy wax, and it really does do everything that's been claimed of it.  There's no smell, it burns cleanly and once the candle's finished, the residue washes clean away to leave the cup perfectly useable for a lovely cup of tea.

I shall certainly be making some more.

0 comments: